Laboratory Control Ltd. Health Career Scholarship Program
The Laboratory Control Ltd Health Care Career Scholarship Fund is an endowed fund administered by the Ottumwa Regional Health Legacy Foundation for the express purpose of scholarship support for individuals interested in pursuing a career in health care. The intent of the scholarship program is to invest in the education of those students that may look to southeast Iowa for employment in health care following the completion of their studies. To date over $324,000 in scholarship support have been awarded to students disbursed throughout the ten county area.
Awards vary in size, beginning with a $1,000 minimum and increasing as funds are available. Awards may be used for educational expenses, including tuition, books and other fees, and are paid directly to the student’s college or university. Awards are given without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, disability or national origin. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Applicant must reside in one of the following ten counties: Appanoose, Davis, Jasper, Jefferson, Henry, Keokuk, Mahaska, Monroe, Van Buren, and Wapello.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a state or nationally accredited program of study that focuses on health care.
- Applicant must be high school graduates who are enrolling in at least the second year of their course of study. Award will be contingent upon proof of registration/enrollment.
- Applicant must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.00+ scale.
- Applicant must apply each year with preference given to previous award recipients; a limit of four (4) awards per student; an award in one year does not automatically result in an award the following year.
- Applicant must be focused on one of the eligible “fields of study” within health care.
Eligible fields of study include: ARNP, BSN, Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant, Dental Hygienist, Dentist, Dietician, Health Care Administrator, Health Educator, Medical Laboratory Technician, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Mental Health Counselor, MSN, Nuclear Medicine Technologist, Occupational Therapist, Optometrist, Orthodontist, Paramedic, Pharmacist, Physical Therapist, Physical Therapy Assistant, Physician, Physician Assistant, Podiatrist, Psychologist, Radiation Therapist, Radiology Technologist, Registered Health Information Tech, Rehabilitation Counselor, Respiratory Therapist, RN, Social Worker, Speech Language Pathologist, Surgery Technician and Undergraduate Pre-Professional (Pre-Med, Pre-Dental, etc.).
Since 2005, 23 students from the University of Iowa have been recipients of this scholarship, representing a total of $76,400 in funds awarded. Degree programs for these students included Pre-Med, Microbiology/Lab Science, ARNP, RN/BSN, Orthopedic Surgery, Pharmacy, Dentistry, and Integrated Physiology, DPT.
Applications will be accepted online beginning February 1, 2018.